Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Saara's Poetry Compositions

Four Seasons

Summer

The sun brightly shines

Humid air upon your neck

Beads of sweat glisten


Autumn

Knits, leggings with boots

Crunch over all coloured leaves

Strewn about the ground

Winter

As temperatures fall

Like snowflakes drop to the ground

Snow angels buried


Spring

Winter melts to spring

Butterflies float to flowers

As does its pollen

- Saara Imtiaz

I wrote these poems on a typical 'Melbourne' afternoon at the start of autumn. I watched as the weather change abruptly from fairly warm and bright with the sun glaring straight into my eyes to what seemed like a day that had been overcast, windy and wet. As I listened to the rain tapping against my window, I began to write about this weather.
I began to realise that it was similar to winter weather even though it was just the start of autumn, so I wrote a poem about what I pictured when I thought of each of these seasons. I then thought to continue and compose the other two seasons. They each have different characteristics which identify them, so I wrote about these.
I always find summer unbearably hot with everybody sweating in the blazing, hot sun.
Thinking of autumn, I picture multicoloured leaves covering every inch of the ground. Whenever I see leaves fallen on the ground, I always step on them just to hear the crunch sound.
Winter is always unbearably cold, and snow comes to mind.
Thinking about spring, I imagine warm, sunny days filled with blooming flowers and butterflies in the air.
I wrote these poems in haiku form as I thought that poems about nature have more effect in haiku form. It would also ensure that there are plenty of adjectives to paint a clear picture of the scene I picture when I think of these seasons.
I used similes in the first line of ‘Winter’ to show how the temperature slowly falls. Another simile was used in ‘Spring’ to say that pollen from the flowers floats around during spring. I used onomatopoeia in ‘Autumn’ to give effect for the fallen leaves. I used the line ‘Knits, leggings with boots’ to try and show what clothing is worn and to also help picture someone walking through layers of multicoloured leaves which cover the ground.
I also used imagery in all of my poems to help the reader picture the scenes in their mind and make it obvious about which season I was talking about.

2 comments:

~tara~ said...

You're haikus are really good+) [trosat person]

autumn is very you 'knits, leggings with boots'
it's good how you can express yourself through 5 syllables=)

Your reflection is really good, it's so tru how melbournes weather can go through all of your haikus in a day!

Awesome=]
and ( i don't know why but) ***i'm sorry.

Alisha said...

Loooooove your work :)
A++

wish i'd known this cool kid then!